Monday, June 4, 2007

The Power of a Word

Ever notice how many novels, TV shows and movies have one word titles? I love that, the way they find a single word that conveys the power and emotional essence of their work.

Some random examples:

HIDE, GONE, and ALONE by Lisa Gardner, VERTIGO and CHARADE from Alfred Hitchcock, BACKDRAFT, ALIAS, LOST, LADYHAWKE, GLADIATOR, BRAVEHEART, EXODUS, BONES, WITNESS…..

Well, you get the point. One word can have more power and impact than a dozen.

Now I'm pleased to announce that my first title from Berkley will also join this illustrious group. After months of discussion and considering over 70 titles, my new medical suspense will be titled….drum roll, please….

LIFELINES

I love it! An intern in my editor's office came up with it and I will be forever in debt to him.

It says it all, doesn't it? That this will be a book where no one is immune to danger, everything is at risk, and the only things that can save the characters are the bonds they forge with each other…their LIFELINES.

So, what do you think? About my new title or about other titles that just say it all to you as a reader?

Thanks for reading!
CJ

2 comments:

Toni Anderson said...

love your title CJ--best of luck with it :)

One word titles work brilliantly.

CJ Lyons said...

Thanks, Toni! I'm pretty excited by it!